Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Owl Horseback


Making a very long drive down to milepost 89 in SNP today, this barred owl allowed me to stop the truck and approach within (10) feet, almost at eye level. It is perched on a "horse crossing" sign. I don't think it was hungry enough to "eat a horse"! I like the raptors. The Park has a strong population of falcons, hawks, and owls which probably indicates an even stronger population of rodents. Following a brief photo shoot I actually resorted to talking to this very cool bird. Why not? I honestly don't think there was another soul within (20) miles! Owls have some very specialized features. They are typically nocturnal with very large eyes. All birds are thought to see color even in the spectrum not seen by humans. Owl primary wing feathers are "fimbriate", or lined with specially shaped fringe endings which dampen the noise typically heard in other birds. As a very efficient predator the barred owl can fly silently to capture its prey. I remain amazed each passing day at the difference in the behavior of the wildlife within Shenandoah boundaries. I have noted, however, that whitetail deer seem somewhat more wild in the area south of Swift Run Gap. Perhaps poaching is more prevalent in that area. Wildlife will respond to stressors placed on their populations. Note the "bluebird sky" in the background, a contrast from yesterday's sleet storm in the area of Thornton Gap.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, what a fantastic encounter. I would be willing to spend the whole day there and see nothing but one owl close enough to photograph. I have never had the chance in the past, all my tips never pan out. Maybe I am not trying hard enough.

    ReplyDelete

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!