Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Virginian




This is obviously a fine specimen of a whitetail buck which has been around SNP for a long time. He exhibits no concern for passers-by. The top photo was taken November 2 which shows yellow staining of the antlers and head as a result of rubbing behavior. Zooming in one can see the antler burrs filled with bark and yellow cambium. Tree shavings rest in the hair of the forehead. The open mouth? Chewing acorns abundant at this location on Skyline Drive. Happened to catch him out on "the Line" again on November 19 in the same general vicinity. We don't see many mature bucks like this in "LA"..lower Alabama. Seeing him just one more occassion before I wrap up my work in the Park would be a blessing! If not, I'll remember him as "the Virginian."

1 comment:

  1. Jeff I did not see this buck in my two trips there last month. He is fine looking. Maybe I will catch him next month.

    ReplyDelete

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!