Monday, December 7, 2009

Tired and Haggard




The Skyline Drive "hotline" recording stated no access for the entire length of SNP. I met the contractor at the locked gates and waited for updates. A Ranger supervisor arrived to advise that plows were working but entry would be "at our own risk" and gates were to remain locked behind us. Without a 4x4 I opted to wait until mid-day. In my Dec. 3 posting I stated that it would be a blessing to see "the Virginian" again before I leave for the winter shut-down. The project will not be completed. At some point in the near future, the contractor will say he's done all he can on the mountain until spring. On the sloooooow drive in crossing patches of ice I was astounded at the length of the icicles hanging from the rocks. I'll post them later. Although the Pinnacles Overlook appeared to be totally iced over I eased in just for a quick look at the snow on the mountains. To my complete amazement, up walked the Virginian along the edge of the cultural stone wall adjacent to the overlook. Again, he exhibited no fear of my truck parked nearby. The buck was totally engrossed in browsing on dead grass at the edge of the wall. As he lowered his head I left the truck and crawled up the wall. He appeared haggard, tired, and underweight now from the recent rut. At extremely close proximity to him (in reality too close to any wild animal and I would never advise it), I noticed just how "grey" in the face the Virginian appeared. I crawled away just as quietly and left the ol' timer to continue browsing. Large and small bucks were on the move mid-day. Another buck with a greater spread width was not so accommodating for a photo. Only a fleeting photo of this one running over the crest of the steep embankment. The rack was well outside the ears. Several spikes posed in the snow for a quick picture from the truck window. One doe was drinking the runoff at the edge of Skyline pavement. Snow not melting and only a trickle along the roadside for a drink. The deep of winter yet to arrive at Shenandoah NP is very taxing on the older animals. Any injuries sustained during the rut is costly as well. The Virginian appeared to have held his dominant status for yet another year.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff, I will be happy for you when you get to head back home to your family but I sure will miss the SNP post you make. It is neat reading your post on what is happening in the park and I enjoy the photos also.

    I must say I can get an education from you also on wildlife.

    Thanks for the posts, Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeff,I just started reading your post and look foward to reading the other entries you have. I hope you will continue to update us, even though you will be on "vacation" soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad, it is difficult being away so long. Thanks for writing and supporting my blog from the start. I've learned much from you and will continue reading and enjoying your years of experience in the field. Also, thanks for remembering those who served at Pearl Harbor. As far as wildlife, its been my passion for a lifetime. This deployment has given me an opportunity to "get close" more than any other.

    Mike, thanks writing and great to hear from you! I also miss those Thursday buffets. Please tell everyone hello and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!