Thursday, December 10, 2009

Memories of Profiles




Big Meadows offers a very unique opportunity to anyone interested in viewing the full gamut of whitetail deer behavior. Like the old cliche', some days it just all comes together. Or better yet, "It just doesn't get any better than this." My typical lunch hour usually involves some type of wildlife observation in SNP. As I slowly approached the meadow today, 4 bucks were tending a small herd of does on the right-of-way of Skyline Drive. Two young bucks started a sparring match while the 3 1/2 yr. old enjoyed some quiet time with the ladies. The lowland of the meadow held three separate herds of does, totaling about 50 head. Surprisingly, I watched a doe submit to a 1 1/2 year old spike. Then even more amazingly, the 3 1/2 yr. old buck saw this at about 150 yards and covered the distance in a matter of seconds. I honestly thought he was going to mow down the youngster and the doe. At the last second the spike "leapfrogged" and ran for his life. The big eight chased him all the way across the bottom to the east, then returned. Today, I can say that I saw the largest and probably oldest doe in all the years of observing or hunting whitetails. Just this week I asked a resident co-worker when the bucks will be dropping sheds. Down south Alabama its mid to late March. This doe was pot bellied and sway backed, and her head was as large as any mature buck I've seen in the Park. I honestly thought it was a buck that had already dropped antlers. At about 50 feet there was not doubt of her gender. Besides, she had her fawn from last spring at her side. Weather must have played a factor in the activity today. 22 degrees with a strong, bitterly cold wind. Snow has transformed to a sheet of ice. Forecast low in Big Meadows tonight, 9 above. These photos reminded of something from many years past. I remember my kindergarten teacher drawing a profile. Each student sat in front a bright light while she drew the profile above the shoulders on construction paper taped to the wall. Funny how things are long forgotten, and return from the deepest recesses of the human mind on a day such as this. It is written: "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. And He took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them." Mark 10:13,16 NKJV.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos Jeff, looking at those and reading your account of yesterdays visit to the Meadows makes me wish the park was open so I could make a trip down. I can't wait for my next visit. It is hard to believe that my first time at the park was for the rut this year. After two trips I am now hooked and will make this a regular stop durring the year.

    ReplyDelete

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!