Monday, December 14, 2009

The Sign Says It All.



















October 7, 2009 - departed 3:30 a.m. to drive 805 miles to the Best Western of Luray, VA. Duration of this deployment in the contract: (46) days. Writing this on the eve of my departure now (72) days since I've been home. During the first project meeting, weather was discussed by those who have seen the seasons come and go. The term which came up time and again was "unpredictability". This has indeed become evident in review of my daily diaries "for the record": thunder, lightning & hail, days of freezing fog with zero visibility, (3) major snow events, sleet and freezing rain. Almost another month now past the estimated completion date and the contractor has not yet completed Road Rehabilitation Phase I. The shorts and tee shirt I arrived in have not been worn since! In my opinion it appears that the mountain creates its own microclimate. I like it! Talk about an extreme change from my last project in east central Alabama where it was 100 degrees many days in June with high humidity. Trying a diet for the first time I managed to lose 25 pounds in record heat. The contractor has indeed made a diligent effort to pursue the work. The time has come for the winter shutdown also discussed during many weekly progress meetings. The 7" snow event on Dec. 5 has incurred only a few days of above freezing temperatures. The days following with lows near 10F transformed snow into solid ice. In other words, I emailed my project manager in Atlanta, "We're done." I'm headed home for a while to catch up on much needed family and church time, and deer hunting Mississippi and Alabama family properties. Then off to Nashville for a few months before returning to Luray in the spring to finish up. Most of my weekends have involved seeing the sites in Page and Rappahannock Counties. Usually a day in SNP and a day in the Shenandoah Valley. I have blogged before that "the Valley" is one of the most beautiful places I've seen in all the states I've worked. More picturesque than the estuarine ecosystems of south Louisiana, Wildlife Management Areas of Mississippi, huge cotton fields of southwest Georgia, and large expanses of mixed hardwoods and pines of Alabama. Smoke houses, old jeeps, (2) story wooden frame houses with heating oil tanks and stacks of split firewood, fields of corn lined with piled rock fences...all these things I've seen here, this list could go on about the good life in the Shenandoah Valley. To have seen the Valley in all its splendor of fall and dormant state of winter has given me many opportunities to make some photos, now a new hobby, to share with my family. Oh Shenandoah National Park, and meeting the Lord here to renew my spirit! "And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when he was seated His disciples came to Him. Then He opened His mouth and taught them..." Matthew 5:1-2 "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!" Mark 4:9 "When you said 'Seek My face,' my heart said to You, 'Your face, Lord, I will seek'" Psalm 27:8 "For you shall go out with joy, and be led out with peace; the mountains and the hills shall break forth into singing before you, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands." Isaiah 55:12 NKJV I have also met many who arrived and left years past only to return soon thereafter to establish businesses to support other travelers who came to Shenandoah National Park. The animals are unique. Residing are several whitetail bucks I have become particularly attached to. The buck in the photo I will definitely miss. I call him "the Virginian." On this particular date he appeared very tired, old, underweight, and frankly I've worried about him since. I just hope now since the rut is behind him that he'll work his way down to some of the harvested fields to pick up remnant corn to store energy for the deep of winter of January and February. His face is now grey, gaunt, with hollow eyes, much different from other photos (see blogs Dec. 3rd & 7th). The owls, hawks, and falcons are majestic. The black bears are in apparent hibernation now - only one having been seen since the leaves fell from the canopy of the deciduous hardwood climax community. My hat is off to the Rangers who, through their dedication to the Park, patrol and protect the resident wildlife. Thanks for leading me down Tanner's Ridge Road on my first day on board. So long for now Shenandoah. So long friends I have made on this journey and those who have visited this blog so frequently. Spring will bring splendor to Big Meadows and regrowth on Stoney Man and the Pinnacles. Goodbye and be blessed!

3 comments:

  1. Jeff I do not know how I missed this post, it is almost like it was made after your last post.

    Anyways, if the email address you gave me is good on your card I will drop you a message. You will be able to let me know when you are coming back to SNP to finish the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, I'm still learning on posting blogs. Indeed, I started writing this as a draft several days before I left because I wanted it to be a really special posting. I made few minor changes and uploaded everything on Dec. 16th, the eve of the last day. It showed the posting as Dec. 14. Oh well, I was disappointed. The deployment to
    SNP was very uplifting spiritually and meeting new friends and viewing the abundant wildlife made the trip memorable for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff,
    I found you from Brad's blog.

    Shenandoah will always be one of my favorite photo spots. I had the pleasure of shooting there for 3 or 4 days last year with my friend, Ken Conger, and it was a real pleasure watching and photographing the newborn fawns, all the time being careful not to get close enough to affect their behaviour. It was the first time I had the opportunity, but certainly hope it will not be the last.

    ReplyDelete

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!