Saturday, December 5, 2009

Valley Snow







Quarter size snow flakes continue to fall at the time of this posting. Those of us residing in the deep south do not often see the beauty of landscapes altered, or should I say, enhanced by snow. I am particularly fond of old farms, especially those handed down through generations and still involved in agriculture or livestock production. The Shenandoah Valley has some of the most beautiful farms in America. I plan later in life, perhaps in my retirement years to rotate cattle on a few pastures at home. The key is "home", that is...being there on a regular basis! I am deeply saddened to find the "absolute auction" signs on farms in every state where I have worked. Having an appreciation of the years of continuous work to maintain farms, I can only imagine the devastation in losing land owned for decades. Snow accumulation reached about 4" in the valley. An attempt was made to reach the Thornton Gap entrance of SNP. Not expecting visitors to be allowed to enter the park I wanted to photograph the area of the Panorama. About (2) miles up the mountain past Park HQ I realized I had probably made a mistake as ice patches became more numerous and no place to turn around. Not having a 4x4, engaging the positive traction rear differential on the F-150 enabled me to reach the top and very cautiously make a u-turn in 7" of snow. The drive to the entrance station had not been plowed and the Park was closed. Shenandoah State Park was my next destination. Voted "Best in America", I was surprised to find the roadways plowed and open. The view of the Shenandoah River from the newly constructed wooden deck overlook was breathtaking. I watched a couple placing a canoe in the River during heavy snow. Diehards! I've just got to hand it to them. The view from the water was probably picturesque.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!