Friday, December 4, 2009

Full Moon Midday Movement




Last time I saw a sky similar to this at sunrise in SNP, next day brought thunder and hail. Forecast noted in the last half hour for the Shenandoah Valley for tomorrow is 80% chance of snow 2-4" accumulation possible with a high in the mid 30s. Wildlife typically change their circadian rhythm or diurnal cycle during full moon phases. During my lunch break today, I drove to Big Meadows hoping to see movement which can occur as a result of the full moon. In a 30 minute period I encountered around 30 does, 4 bucks (one photo inset), and a very large black bear. A young 4 pt. buck ran quickly across Skyline Drive and several seconds later the bear loped across about 50 yards down the road. I expect the bear was on the move midday and just spooked the buck nearby.

2 comments:

  1. It is to bad this could not have happened a week earlier. We had a great day but the movements this brings about along with the bear would have been more fun.

    As long as you have been in the park I am sure you have seen more bears and a bobcat or two?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, I honestly have not seen a bobcat or coyote since entering the Park Oct. 8. I saw more bears before all the leaves fell. Since then only (3). I may post a late evening photo, just a profile of a bear on a rock outcropping overlooking Skyline Dr. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!