Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Tradition

Today's post is in honor of those families who instil in their youngsters the tradition of the outdoor lifestyle. Whether hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, photography, or bird watching, time invested in the outdoors with family and friends is where memories are made for a lifetime. My family and in-laws were gracious by meeting me over this past Thanksgiving weekend down in the Great Smoky Mountains. I was one of the 34 million Americans on the highway late Wednesday following a long day on the project. Highway time (especially the hour wait on I-81) gives me opportunity to reflect on the many years of blessings in the field with my family. Work does not allow much time with friends and family time is my priority. The trip back north yesterday morning was pleasurable with low traffic. As the day progressed, so did the traffic. Just north of Roanoke I began reading license plates of the space shuttles in the left lane running about warp 4 on the Star Trek scale. Let's see: New York, Delaware, Maryland (by the thousands), D.C., Vermont, New Hampshire, you get the picture. No offense! I'm thankful to be working full time in your vicinity! Then, I spotted a Chevy Z-71 that just made my day. He was cruising along in the right lane like me! Red extended cab, dog box, dual exhaust, whining offroad tires, and on the back tailgate was a nice young buck. No, it wasn't one for the T.V. networks. You can be assured this man and his young son were oblivious to the rat race to their left. I was feeling a little lonesome at the time having hugged my wife and son probably for the last time until the project shuts down due to winter. I also was feeling somewhat alienated as the passers-by were giving me puzzled looks after reading my hunter orange cap hanging in the rear window. (My son's school way down south hosts an annual deer hunt fund raiser). At this very moment I recalled my Grandfather's statement to me while we were riding in his '50 Willys Jeep to the deercamp, "Sportsmen should always wave one to the other." Believe me I hit the "passing gear" and moved up along side to give that blond boy, still in his orange vest, a big "Thumbs Up"! I waved to his dad and eased on up ahead. Man, I needed that! You can bet on high fives, hugs, and congratulations for that youngster when he got home! He is the future of the sport and tradition of deer hunting in America. Anyone seeking to enjoy some great reading, research, youth events, and great photography, please look into the Quality Deer Management Association, (QDMA for your search).

No comments:

Post a Comment

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!