Tuesday, November 17, 2009

You Just Never Know


You just never know what a day will bring forth. Last October 13 I drove in early to the Dundo Overlook at Shenandoah National Park for a project kick-off meeting with the contractor and his subs. Watching the sun illuminate the brilliant colors of fall on an adjacent mountain was absolutely a humbling experience. Conditions were blustery and in the low 40s. Bundled up with the truck window rolled down, movement in my side mirror caught my eye. From the steep slope below the overlook, two rather wooly girls with backpacks emerged from heavy brush. Upon a second look, I convinced myself that indeed, one of the girls was carrying a nude and very ripped (Misssissippi jargon) GI Joe doll. The doll was wearing a Ronald McDonald mask. (Yep, this is a true story. I had not been on the mountain on this deployment that long and I couldn't even make this up if I tried.) I decided it would be safer to evacuate the truck and prepare to hightail it down the road on foot as I would not have time to find the keys in my pocket. Anyway, they appreared as though they needed the truck worse at that moment than I did. As I stepped away from the doll yielding leader, she spoke in somewhat broken caveman pseudo-American, probably actually German, "Tok pic?" She handed a 10.1 meg CyberShot digital cam. "Uhmmm.......o.k.", I replied. They stepped to the edge of the overlook and smiled as I nervously spoke the typical Western, "Cheeeez!" The leader replied, "Thonk", and I watched as they placed "Ronald Mc-GI" on a rock for his photo. Both gals waved goodbye and within a few moments they disappeared down the mountain. I thought my friends will never believe this...Oh yea. As "Lil Rocky" was posing for his picture I asked, "Is his name Wilson???" Just a puzzled look from the visitors...Immediately my conscious said Gomer would not even have asked that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!