Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bear Rain


October 16 - Conditions at Skyland, elevation 3680, were fog with zero visibility and forecast for snow after midnight with accumulation of one inch. Working my way through the project was very difficult at best, especially for a "flatlander" from south Alabama. The idea of making a few photos seemed like a great way to wait for the weather to break. To gain the best perspective of "designated wilderness" I decided to pass the typical paved overlooks. The roadway shoulder at the foot of a section of guardrail of Skyline Drive was large enough to accomodate my truck. Walking some 30 yards, I paused for a shots of golden leaves against very heavy fog. Rustling in the leaves above my head caught my attention and a thought passed through my mind that it must be one of the thousands of squirrels one can see on any day in Shenandoah. To my surprise, and I must say dismay, was a 250 pound black bear perched on a 6" limb about 12 feet above my head. It seemed startled as I was at that moment and began the typical blow/snort to warn one that he is too close, and perhaps, in imminent danger. In reality, I heard drops of saliva hitting the leaves around my feet. While giving the bruin plenty of width, I mouth called "rodent in distress" which gave me a second to take a photo. The bear made a slow decent down the trunk of the tree. I continued the rat squeals. It eventually made his way upwind and surprisingly did not beat a fast retreat when he caught my scent. My calls gave me opportunity for several more photos. This close encounter reminded me of a trip to the Great Smokeys in my youth. Following a horseback trail ride, I asked an ol' timer who was chewing plug tobacco in a rocking chair at the stables if he had seen any bears lately. He replied, "Yep. That bar, he wuz s'close he wuz a'blowin' slobbers all over me!" Yea, right! Now I know exactly what he meant! A "bar" can make rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!