Thursday, November 19, 2009

Calm Before the Storm


Yesterday morning Big Meadows held more deer than usual at daybreak. Even with heavy fog encountered midway up the mountain on Tanner's Ridge Road, familiar forms of browsing does were dispersed throughout the area once used by Native Americans for tribal meetings. Working my way north to Upper Hawksbill, I glimpsed this image to the east. Backing up to an opening through the trees I stepped out of the truck to gaze at this phenomenon I've never seen before. I'm learning much from following the blogs of the "PA Posse" about photography. This shot was made with my work camera, a 10.1 meg CyberShot at full zoom. Nothing special. Just something to upload shots of problems on the project to email to the contracting officer in a matter of seconds. I'm sure Stephanie Abrams would describe this as some "stratoshorizontalcoralinterspersion". Whatever...it was indeed a soul searching moment again in my experience on the mountain at SNP. I'll go as far to say that it was the calm before the storm. Conditions on Skyline Dr. this a.m. were thunder, lightning, and hail. Back home in the Deep South I would search for a large tree to park the truck under. Not so in SNP. Park staff Wilderness Weekend educators state the trees are actually a climax community. Must be from the short growing season. In any event the beautiful head of the mountain reared-up today. Nothing to do but watch marble size ice bounce on the truck hood. I couldn't help but wonder how deer react to hailstorms. I've sat through a few in my favorite shooting house but have never seen deer during the fiasco. Surely that sixth sense puts them in heavy cover to hunker down. I am reminded of scripture, Romans 1;20 "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse." Viewing this yesterday begs the question: How can anyone deny the existence of the Creator?

1 comment:

  1. Jeff after you first commented on one of my post all I could wonder was how did he find me. My short term memory is not what it used to be and I find myself writing names down on anything I can find. I checked your profile then, for some reason I checked it again to find that you have made a blog.

    I have linked you to my site and will be back often to read your post. It was great meeting you and I hope we run into each other again sometime soon. I would assume you will be heading home over Thanksgiving but if you do not I may see you then. Presently I am planning on coming down next Friday just for the day then heading back home. If I miss you or do not make it I hope you and your family have a great holiday time. A four year old boy is so much fun on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!