Friday, November 27, 2009

The Viking








During the last two weeks of project management at Shenandoah National Park I have kept a keen eye on a certain area of Skyline Drive where a very large rub is being hit on a regular basis. I knew the buck was large by the size of the rub, see first photo. I had all but given up hope of ever seeing this deer. Then, within a hour of leaving the Park on Thanksgiving Eve, there he stood. Of about (20) photos I never got a facing shot. He absolutely would not allow it. This buck is a smart old guy. I hope Brad got a photo of him today with his high-end equipment. The old monarch was not happy that I attempted to follow him. Initially, he exhibited "piloerection" or in southern terms, all his hair stood up on end. It actually created an illusion that he was 50 pounds heavier. Then, as you see he posted his threatening posture with ears layed back. I gave him plenty of area at this point. I did not see any does during this encounter. The buck just wanted to be left alone. In over 40 years afield, I've heard deer blowing, snorting, grunting, mewing, grunt-snort-wheezing...but I've never heard the sound this buck made when he had enough of me. Turning around and looking straight in my eyes, he let loose a "black angus bull snort" and fog blew from both nostrils. You know, like in those Viking movies where the black stallion draft horses the warriors are riding would terrify the victim with snorts and nostril blasts. How ironic, I just watched "Pathfinder" last week with this very scene. (Too violent for the youngsters, use parental discretion. Great footage though.) Down in the Great Smokies for the holiday weekend. Word of advice: Check those road condition reports regularly. Nothing posted last night for US 441 across Newfound Gap. Encountered blizzard conditions, 21 degrees, and down right scary winds last night late on the way back from Gatlinburg. The Christmas lights are beautiful downtown. Take the trolley "Tour of Lights" or just make the round in the truck late after traffic lightens up. Heading back to SNP tomorrow afternoon to beat the Sunday traffic. Everyone please travel safely. Let's all count our blessings!


1 comment:

  1. Jeff, I hope you had a great visit with you family.

    Just because the photo equipment is good does not mean the photos will be good. Some times I act like I don't know what I am doing.

    I don't think we seen this guy but we did see many bucks and some big ones.

    My Monday post will be about our most recent trip. After that they will be mixed in with others. We did watch two bucks sparring by Milam Gap until the one got mad and layed his ears back. Some of the bucks we seen would not look at us or lift their heads, we tried. My son shot some videos that he will post on his blog including a nice one of a doe stomping around and snorting. It was a joy to watch.

    I guess a January trip will be made to catch the deer in the snow.

    Take care, Brad.

    ReplyDelete

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!