Friday, November 20, 2009

Do Deer Copy People?



I've arrived at the conclusion that the over abundant population of whitetail deer at SNP get bored. Late October brought thousands of visitors from Florida to Maine seeking the majesty of colors from the overlooks during peak season. During the last few weeks I've also noted bucks using the same overlook day after day. Shazaam! Do you think these guys are viewing the tourists from the rock outcroppings above "The Line" and giving the tourism thing a a shot themselves? Following yesterday's encounter with this young guy I'm now convinced! Unfortunately for this buck, he has a case of fibromatosis. The raised areas in his coat are wart-like growths. What you cannot see which stunned me for a second was the fibroma in the area of the tear duct on the right eye. It protruded upward toward the pupil and surely was obscurring his vision. For reasons unknown to biologists, young bucks are more susceptable more than does. It is also unknown how the condition is contracted. Fibromatosis is caused by a virus and will eventually lead to immunity to reoccuring infections. My opinion is that it is nothing more than a nuisance. I've never harvested a buck with the condition but understand the concern of other hunters who have. It is known that fibromatosis does not infect humans and poses no threat by consuming venison. This guy became a little nervous when I walked slowly within (20) feet. Another note: I noticed his demeanor changed from concerned to totally relaxed when I knelted below his eye level, in this case his (1) eye. He resumed browsing on the grass and looking at Luray, VA in the Shenandoah Valley below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!