Saturday, February 13, 2010

Southern Snow


The weather channel reported the snow in the Deep South was a once in a decade event. Departing Nashville shortly after noon on I-65 south I encountered light flurries an hour north of Birmingham, moderate snow in Montgomery, and almost whiteout thirty miles further. It honestly looked like those Dakota blizzards as one, two, and then a third vehicle had lost control and plowed through snow and mud on the right-of-way. My concern early in the journey was to reach home before dark as forecasted temps dropping in the low 20s would re-freeze the precipitation on the interstate. State troopers and DOT crews were posted at many bridges monitoring conditions. What an opportunity today to get back out the the hunting property. A great buck had given us the slip the last week of the Alabama season. Snow would give me an opportunity to look for tracks and other sign to verify that he survived the season. An hour into the walk the familiar tracks were found. We do not often see a buck track in south Alabama with the width of three fingers. Indeed, he had survived and he was still on the property. Following a short pursuit I jumped him from his bed in a thicket where only a dusting of snow had accumulated. Honestly, he was large and very dark in color. I could not get a clear look at his rack. No matter, I had found his core area with scrapes and rubs. I have not hunted this area throughout the years. The snow was very beneficial in this post season scouting expedition. A text message was received by my family hunting partners that 'Ol Three Fingers' will be around next year, and a ladder stand will be waiting on the first day of season. The photo was taken last December in Shenadoah National Park. I've posted this particular buck on several occassions. I became quite fond of him, especially after he allowed me to crawl in snow within four feet while he continue browsing. Hopefully, this fine buck is surviving the immense amount of snow in the Park. Last report was about 3 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!