Saturday, January 9, 2010

Big Woods Deep Water



My son's academy hosts a yearly fundraising event. Local landowners donate their favorite deer hunting stands in January for three days. Fathers of students who are accomplished hunters themselves guide those participating in the hunt. The event has grown throughout the years. Hunter success rates are quite impressive and several trophy deer are harvested each year. Most of the hunters are from out-of-state and book a year in advance for the return. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, I was not able to help this year. However, I did receive a call today from one of the guides. Upon finding him on the roadside shivering with wet feet, he explained that his Pathfinder was, as they say down South, "bawged down" with water in the doors. It was substantially worse then he described. Finding his exhaust pipe almost submerged and the engine off I expected the vehicle would not start. That Nissan fired right up! The vast preponderance of evidence in the photo supports the fact that it took a little work! My four year old cheered "Stuck in the mud! Stuck in the mud!" as the F-250 "bellered" - that's southern for bellowed or moaning in need of relief. I had to get into the horses to accomplish the mission. As I think of all that ice floating around the Pathfinder, I still get chills thinking about my good friend sloshing down the woods road to the nearest house to call. Talk about a bad day, he also lost his cell phone in the mayhem!

1 comment:

  1. Jeff I am glad to see you are still blogging. I didn't forget about you it has just been busy here. The cold makes my job a little busier.

    So how does all the other peole in the south enjoy the cold? You should have gotten used to it in SNP. By the way Skyline Drive is still closed because of heavy snow.

    ReplyDelete

My friends advise that "word verification" is needed to block out the spam. Thanks for taking the time to word verify!